My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Decision Time

The first thing you should know about my mission is that I did not DECIDE to serve as a full-time missionary. It was not my CHOICE. I mean, yeah of course it was my choice, I could choose to completely disregard my spiritual promptings and personal revelation, and keep doing what I was doing, but that's not exactly how it works. So, here is my story:

This last summer (2015) I was working at a summer camp in Minnesota as a rock climbing and ropes instructor. I was one of 2 members of the church, and the other worked in a completely different area of camp so we never really ever saw each other. I met and worked with people from all over the world! I made friends from Slovakia, New Zealand, Australia, Poland, England, Ireland, and so many more.
Teaching a couple campers how to navigate the course.
Going to camp, I was hoping to have a couple missionary opportunities. I had so many more than I would have thought! Almost every day I would have a chance to share my standards, answer a question about God, or explain what the "CTR" on my ring meant ;) On the few days that we had off, almost everyone would go to the bar in town to get smashed, and would wonder why I never joined them. I was so blessed because of the way I was raised and by keeping my baptismal covenants of standing as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places.
Me a guitar Instructor, who would have thought?
About a month and a half into camp, I had a very special, particular experience that Heavenly Father told me I needed to go on a mission. This prompting took me by surprise, because in the years prior when I had asked in prayer if I was suppose to serve full-time, the answer was no. So I was very confused, and scared. I was just starting to get my stuff figured out, getting close to graduating college, had very special people and friends in my life, and some pretty big plans. But now that all was going to take a 180 and I was gonna go share the love of Christ. Cool, I can do this, because I have faith in God's plan.

Returning to Utah and going back to school and jumping back into a normal routine and also trying to prepare for a mission was hard. Being isolated in the Northwoods of Minnesota it was easy to receive that revelation from God. But being home I was faced with so many distractions and temptations that I started doubting and second guessing myself. I continually had to go back in my mind to the place I was when I felt that love from Heavenly Father. Never has Elder Holland's quote been so applicable to me than at this time.
“With any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now.”
That's a hard thing. 

1 comment: