My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Certified English Teachers

I have lots of new info. We finished our training at the ELC (English Language Center). Sister Olsen and I will both be teachers at New Generation Secondary School in Mongolia, which from what I understand is basically a k-12 public school specifically for learning foreign languages. That's pretty much all we know about it, but I'm excited!

Teaching my first real English class at the ELC (English Learning Center)


Our classes were recorded and we had to go back and watch ourselves teach and evaluate. That was weird.

Also, we got to meet both our presidents this week! President and Sister Harper are our new presidents coming end of June, and they came to the ELC while we were there! They are wonderful, and I am so excited to get to know them even more in Mongolia. Then a few days ago we got to Skype with President Benson because he had some more travel info for us.

Turns out there were some flight issues and we are now ALL traveling together through Seoul to Mongolia! We're all pretty happy about it. Plus, we've heard that the Seoul airport is way nicer than the Beijing airport, so that's good.


We are now certified English teachers! (with Sister Guild)

Because we spent so much time at the ELC, we didn't have much study time and weren't able to teach many lessons. But I actually really enjoyed the ELC. We got to practice teaching real English classes to real foreign students, which was super cool. All the people there are so awesome. There are students that come to study there from all over the world. It was a really unique and amazing experience. At lunch one day, we asked one of the students why he was here learning English, and he said because he wants to be able to listen to the prophets and apostles and understand them without a translator. He said "I want to learn the language of the restoration." I thought that was so amazing, and I had never though about it before. I learned a lot this week. One of the coolest things was how much trust and responsibility God has given me, and all of the Mongolian teachers. I remember in high school thinking, someday I want to change somebody's life. Well, here's my chance. Being an English teacher in Mongolia is going to do just that. I am giving these people the tools to make their lives better.

We're in a car! We haven't been in a moving vehicle for over 2 months! (On the way to ELC) 
Elders: Cowles, Wilding, Heacock
Sisters: Bottorff, Hansen

I've had many incredible experiences through my life, and some of my absolute favorites have been meeting people from every culture and background. The world is such a beautiful, interesting place full of beautiful, interesting people. The only problem with it is it makes me just want to travel so many more places! I now have a running list of like a bajillion countries I need to visit before I die. So don't be afraid to keep dropping coins in my adventure fund at home. Thanks.

I know you asked me a whole bunch of questions this week, but I can't remember any of them. We're like, really super exhausted, and very excited to get on that plane. Oh, we also will go back to our normal P-day schedule, so I'll have P-day again on Tuesday. I guess you could say we're pretty spoiled.


Have a good week,


Хайр,
Ханьсэн Эгч

No comments:

Post a Comment