My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Lots of language miracles this week

I feel like I was just here. I don't know how the weeks go by so fast. I've nearly completed my first transfer. We don't do anything that normal missionaries do like tracting or anything, but we never have a free minute. We don't have time for a free minute. There's too much work to be done.
 
Jen got your tongue?

I noticed lots of little language miracles this week. We met a random white guy who has lived in Mongolia for 4 years, teaching English and stuff. He was pretty cool. He said that he's been studying the language the whole time he's been here (4 years) and we talked to him a bit. Well, I've been here a month and I know way more than he did, so that was really cool.

Mongolian names are really long and hard to remember, but I always remember specific experiences that I had with people, so this is how I help myself.  

Also at district meeting, I pretty much knew what was going on the whole time. I obviously still didn't catch every word, but generally, understood what everyone was talking about, and it felt pretty good.

I know a lot happened this week, but it just went so fast I don't remember it. M is getting baptized on Friday!! Woot woo! We brought him to another ward's baptismal service and he really enjoyed it! Also, I got to see Elder Heacock perform his first baptism! That was so great!

Here is a really poor picture of us with M at the other ward's baptism service!
English is..... something else. It's really hard. It's definitely stretching my patience and my abilities. We had an English training to discuss a new curriculum and I think that by the time school starts next fall I will have some new ideas and actually be able to start with my students from the beginning instead of jumping in their class a month before summer break... that was not a good idea. But I'm learning. 

I'm so grateful to be called to this special work. It's unlike any experience in the world. I've been so strengthened and shaped in such a short amount of time since coming to Mongolia. I also am so grateful for the blessings of the temple, and am so happy that we have them so near by in America. Go as often as possible.

If I had more time I would talk about how trials refine us, but I don't so here's a scripture.

D&C 136:31: My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.

Love you all,

Hansen Egch

P.S. Transfers are next week. Because I'm training I'll be staying with Sister Gardiner for the whole 12 weeks. (supposedly) Unless something crazy happens, nothing should be changing for me next week!


The dinosaur museum was SO cool!!! Apparently Mongolia has a huge amount of dino fossils and stuff. There was a full T-rex skeleton that was AMAZING. Most of it was real. They had a map showing which were real fossils and which were casts, and most of it was genuine.
Sometimes in Mongolia you have to jump over gates. And sometimes that results in your skirt ripping to a very missionary-inappropriate point. 


No comments:

Post a Comment