My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Saying goodbye to half of our sisters

Last hike with Lichtenberg
Highlight of this week: ELDER GARCIA IS IN MONGOLIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because of the beauty of modern technology, you all already know about that.
When we were leaving the MTC, he said he would come join us the following transfer, but after 2, 3, 4 transfers passed by, we all kind of gave up hope of ever seeing him come. But Wednesday evening before teaching English, we went to drop some things in the mail room, and I saw the pictures of the new missionaries arriving, and when I saw his picture, I lost my mind. The AP's were there and said he was in his interview with President right then, and we could wait around a minute for him to finish. It was so good to talk to him! It was like having a lost brother come home. Now the whole family is back together!!! After spending 2 and a half months in a tiny room with someone, you really do become family. We're so happy to have him here. He is temporarily companions with Elder Wilding and Okamoto until transfers, then I believe Okamoto will be his trainer.

Reunited with Elder Garcia
This week I also had the opportunity to attend the baptism of one of my best English students, who I didn't even know was investigating the church! It was so awesome, and she has amazing friends who are going to help her continue strong in the church. She'll be great!


Last week Sister Shreeve and I were going to visit a less-active at the farthest stop of our area, which is past the city border and way out in the boonies. Well, we were just chatting like normal, and got distracted and missed our bus stop. Whoops. I knew that the next few stops were in Nalaikh, and just assumed the bus would turn around and we could get off on the way back. Boy was I wrong. We ended up taking a beautiful long bus tour through the countryside of Nalaikh! Needless to say, we didn't have time to meet the member, and had to get back to the city for English. But it was really fun! Don't miss your bus stops, folks. 






We had a freaky little experience a few nights ago with a woman screaming outside our door in the middle of the night. It was a really horrific, terrible scream. I've had a lot of encounters with drunks, abuse, possession, and things like that throughout my mission. Scary stuff. But it only woke me up for a minute before I was knocked out again, but it shook my companion up pretty bad. She told me the next morning that the screaming went on for a while, then she listened to the woman whimper for nearly an hour. Then when we were leaving our apartment that day, the tv screen in the elevator was shattered. So, I don't really know what went on that night, but I am really grateful for Russian doors that keep out all the creepy crawlers.



Transfers should be coming out tomorrow night, and I don't have the slightest of clues what's going to happen! We have 6 new elders and 3 new sisters coming, but in 2 groups- the sisters won't be here until next Thursday, so this is going to be another dragged out transfer yum shig baina. I did hear that Heacock and Urness will both be training though, so that's super exciting. Transfers are so fun. And stressful. We'll be saying goodbye to half of our sisters this week, and our mission will miss them a lot. We sure are getting  small over here. But the work moves forward, and miracles are still happening! And it's getting warmer! 

Love, 

Sister Hansen

Road kill. Dinosaur?

No comments:

Post a Comment