My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Sunday, February 19, 2017

What is LDS?

Let me tell you about Anar. He is a wonderful 16 year old boy that has been coming to my English class. He speaks impressive English for someone who has never had a class. He has taught himself from playing games and watching TV and youtube- and he is one of my most advanced students. Well, Anar has not been coming to my class for very long, maybe a month or so, but last week when Sister Shreeve and I became companions, they became very quick friends. After speaking club one night, Anar asked, "What is LDS?" and those are the magic words that turn us from English teachers to missionaries. We gave him a little bit of information and invited him to church on Sunday. He was very interested. Sunday came, and we were waiting and watching the door anxiously to see if Anar came. Sacrament was about to start in 5 minutes when he walked in. That is the best feeling in the whole world!! I was translating for Elder and Sister Maynes, but Anar sat with Sister Shreeve through sacrament meeting. A little girl from our ward was baptized on Friday, so he saw her receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. He sat in gospel principles class and also went to young men's and young women's, and our youth are so amazing and reached out to him and made friends.

Splits with Sister Gantsetseg!

During sacrament meeting, they announced a devotional/farewell for 3 students that left this morning for BYU-Hawaii. Anar asked us after church if he could go to that too. Well, of course! This devotional was perfect for him. These students each shared their experiences and journeys of learning English, joining the church, serving missions, and preparing to study abroad. They shared powerful testimonies of the church and how it opens doors of opportunity for education, work, friends and relationships, and just making your life more happy and secure. After the devotional, I had a great discussion with Anar about what he was thinking. He told me that he has recently been researching study abroad programs but didn't think that any of them would be possible. He said coming to church and the devotional made him think that it was possible now. He said that he used to go to a church when he was very young, but that this one feels different. He said he learned and felt something amazing, and wants to learn more. He said one of the best things was that he made new friends.

Can you guess which ger is new?

I'll tell you what, Sister Shreeve and I felt all day long that we were being pushed by the spirit to help Anar. We feel very invested in this boy. He is smart. He is so polite and kind-hearted. He's gonna get it. We both feel very confident and excited for Anar. Like, he's gonna be a future stake president or mission president or something. This kid is about to be a golden miracle to Mongolia, folks.

On the tracks with Sister Bottorff
I can't describe to you how grateful I am for my calling as a missionary and an English teacher. My class at the BZ is incredible. I wish you could see it and meet the people I get to help here. You know, you'll hear everybody say they have the best mission in the world, but they just don't even know. You will just never know.


Yesterday, Sister Shreeve and I also got to speak in the long-distance phone branch! I haven't done that since I was with Sister Gardiner, and it was just as amazing as the first time! It's such a special, unique experience. Elder Sutphin is the branch president, so that it why they invited us to dinner Sunday night. We love the Sutphins! They make delicious food, and show scuba pictures, so you just can't get much better than that.

With new companion, Sister Shreeve (left) and Dr. and Sister Sutphin. We love the Sutphins!

Making Buuz for Tsagaan Sar (Winter Festival)
I would encourage each of you to look inside yourself and find something that needs to be changed and change it. Because if we are not constantly changing and improving, we are digressing. Keep moving forward. "Chin up, charge the mountain!!"-Cheaper by the Dozen. Kick Satan in the face!

Have a wonderful week!

Sister Hansen

Email me at: jennifer.hansen@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment