My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Happy Tsagaan Sar!!!

Happy Tsagaan Sar!!! Everywhere in Mongolia is closed for the holiday, so we are emailing from the Sutphin's home this morning.

Heacock, Urness, Hansen, Shreeve, Guild, Kerby, ??, Salvesen

For a week where we can't teach any lessons, a lot of exciting things happened. We did FHE with a wonderful family and taught them how to play "Don't Eat Pete" with MnMs. We went in with a little spiritual thought prepared, but they all just wanted to share their testimonies instead. It was awesome.



I got to go on an STL split with Sister Guild! It was so fun! We haven't been on a split together our whole missions, so it was super great to spend the day with her. Plus, she has served in BZ before, so she knew the people and area way better than I do yet, so she showed me some good places to try to find people once Tsagaan Sar is over.

Guild & I



If you have been reading Sister Bottorff's emails, you may know about the family in BZ that has recently suffered a tragedy... I will quickly share the story. Nearly 3 weeks ago, the parents went to the country side for a few days. The new baby and 9 year old daughter were left under the care of their 16 year old son, Sukherdene. One morning, the Sukherdene woke up to a very cold ger, and wanting to warm it quickly for his younger siblings, used propane in the small coal-burning stove. The stove exploded and the whole ger was on fire. The son frantically pulled 9 year old Enkhjin from the ger, but was too late for the infant, and she passed away in the fire. The Enkhjin suffered severe burns to 80% of her body. She has been in intensive care for the last 3 weeks, and the doctors are waiting to see if her body will take to the skin grafts.

Yesterday we went to see Enkhjin at the hospital. We are not allowed to enter the room because her skin is so seceptible to germs and whatnot, but we could stand outside the window, and talk to her through the phone. 2 weeks ago when Sister Bottorff went, she was completely wrapped from head to toe and could not speak or move. When we saw her yesterday, her face was unwrapped, she waved at us and spoke to us on the phone. This little girl has received endless prayers and love from the ward and missionaries. Sukherdene has received a priesthood blessing for strength and comfort during this incredibly difficult time.

Making Buuz for Tsagaan Sar (the Winter Festival)

I am so grateful for the opportunity to be meeting and serving in Mongolia. The experiences of seeing the Lord work in people's lives, including my own, are absolutely priceless.

I am looking forward to this week of Tsagaan Sar, to be able to visit some of my people that I've met through the last year, and be completely submerged in the rich beautiful culture of Mongolia.

Sister Hansen


[From Jen's parents] The guy on the left is Jen's cousin Corey at temple square. The Sister came up and introduced herself. When she said she was from Mongolia, Corey said, "My cousin is serving a mission in Mongolia." She asked, "What is her name?" When he told her she said. "I met her in the MTC! In fact, I have a picture of her on my iPad!" When we sent this picture to Jen, she said, "She is the one who taught me to say 'I love you' in Mongolian!" Turns out, Jen is serving in her ward in Mongolia right now." Her name is Sister Nyamdeleg.






No comments:

Post a Comment