My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

There's no "You have unlocked the 'GIFT OF TONGUES' power-up!"

Саин баинуу!!

Happy birthday to Mom on Sunday! Hope you had a good one. Each Sunday they have creamery ice cream at the MTC, so I ate some ice cream in your honor.



Last week was very challenging. Because we are now 3 weeks in, we all feel like we should be speaking a lot more Mongolian, but we're not in a game. There's no "You found the '3 week checkpoint' you have unlocked the 'GIFT OF TONGUES' power-up!". And there's no cool sound effects. Disregarding the ones that I make involuntarily. The language classes move forward and we feel like we are staying stagnant with our abilities, and can't keep up.

We now have 2 investigators- бипгуун and ганбаатар. We switch off teaching them every other day. Then yesterday, one of our teachers pulled Bottorff Эгч and I aside and said that his boss (the language manager guy) asked us to teach him as an investigator as well. We don't know why. So now we essentially have 3 investigators. Luckily, we will be teaching this new one in English. It actually will be the first lesson we've ever given in English. We've only ever given Mongolian lessons. It will be interesting to see how it goes, because up to this point we've been terrified of being asked questions, because we don't have the skills to answer. But now, if he asks a questions, we can actually have a real discussion and not read from a script or flip through a dictionary for 5 minutes. So hopefully, we will be able to really teach by the spirit, as we have been praying to do so since we've arrived.

Hansen, Bottorff, Olsen, Guild, Heacock, Urness
Saturday, Bottorff Эгч and I were asked last minute to do a musical number for sacrament meeting the next day, but the MTC music library was closed, and we didn't have anything prepared, so I did a piano solo of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" that I had brought with me. I didn't have any time to play it before hand, so it was essentially sight-read, but it went very well. I was grateful to play the piano again, because I feel the spirit more through music then anything else. I don't know if anyone else felt it, but it was a good boost that I needed for the new week. 

Here's a quote in my notebook from Janice Kapp Perry last week :"Music helps you learn things very quickly that otherwise might take a long time to learn. 

Something about putting the words to music pushes it deeper into your heart and has more staying power."

Thank you for the letters and the love.
Хаиртаи,

Ханисэн Эгч

No comments:

Post a Comment