My Experiences as an English Teacher and Missionary in Mongolia Ulaanbaatar (Jan 2016 – Jul 2017)

Email me at: (sorry I'm home now)
Mailing address:
Sister Jennifer Hansen
Mongolia Ulaanbaatar Mission
(Sorry I'm home now)

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Cow Eyeball Juice

Well ya'll, this week is 6 months! Pretty hard to believe. I still feel like I'm just getting started.

So the view from our new apartment is pretty sweet!

This week was pretty bumpy- it's the Nadaam holiday this week so EVERYONE goes to the countryside. It's been super difficult to find people to meet with, but we've been doing our best and visiting with members and trying to get lots of referrals so once Nadaam is over we can get back to work. Last week was also the big election for a new president, and apparently sometimes there can be riots and crazy stuff that happens so we stayed inside that day and did our big weekly plan. There were no problems.

Hangin' with Lenny boy.

Little funny thing that happened this week- we were invited to a member's house for dinner and she was mixing up a drink and I asked what it was, and she said "uheriin nuudnii shus" which translates to "cow eyeball juice". Ok. I'm in Mongolia. I can do this. I think I must have looked a little nervous because she just laughed and said "it's just the name- it's not really cow eyeballs. It's just turnip juice." Whew. I was ready though. I was gonna drink it all. It's not like I haven't had any other sketchy things since being here.

This week we did have a wonderful mini-zone training with President and Sister Harper!! They are AMAZING. I am SO excited for them to be here. President Harper began by saying how happy they were to be back, and that they "left home to come home." He was very emotional throughout the training, and I know that he has been called by Heavenly Father to futher the work done by the Benson's and they will be incredible leaders in Mongolia.

I'm eating unborn fish.
Since I've been with Sister Jensen I have felt an incredible amount of responsibility to maintain the work that Sister Gardiner and I did the last 3 months. I've really stepped up my language game and have definitely seen the gift of tongues working the last couple weeks. My understanding has improved- it's still not great, but I usually get the gist of what's going on. I've had some great experiences with following the spirit for little things like remembering where people's houses are and who we should ask to be a gerch for a lesson. It's been quite a humbling and yet empowering experience.

I'm excited to see what kind of changes happen in the next couple months. Please pray for our little wards- they need all the help they can get right now.

Lots of love,

Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment